The Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) has denied issuing a statement alleging that the Rector, Dr Dayo Oladebeye invested one billion naira staff salary in Bitcoin.
The ASUP rebuttal of the allegation which had gone viral came at the wake of a peace meeting brokered by the paramount ruler of Ado Ekiti, Oba Rufus Adeyemo Adejugbe and members of the Ewi-in- Council with the Management of the Polytechnic and the local ASUP Executive.
The Union, in a letter addressed to the Rector titled, “RE: ONE (1) BILLION NAIRA BITCOIN INVESTMENT ALLEGATION”, totally dissociated itself from the allegation, after a two-day meeting held at the palace of the Ewi of Ado Ekiti and signed by its Chairman, Dr Olabisi Olasehinde.
ASUP in its letter noted that “As a result of the intervention of His Royal Majesty Oba Dr Adeyemo Adejugbe, the Ewi of Ado Ekiti and the Ewi-In-Council in the face-off between the Management and Academic Staff Union of the Polytechnics (ASUP) of the Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti, the Union resolves to state as follows:
“The Union (ASUP) has no information about the allegation of the One billion naira Bitcoin investment, neither does it has any input in same” and therefore declared “to the whole world that the allegation did not emanate from them”.
The Union emphatically said “that it was embarrassed by its linkage with the said allegation”.
In a related development through another letter similarly conveyed to the Rector, the Union has regretted its action of locking up the gate of the institution on Tuesday 2nd March 2021, an action which disrupted the continuation of the second-semester examination that had earlier commenced on Monday, 1st of March, 2021.
The ASUP, in the second letter titled RE: INDUSTRIAL FACE-OFF AT THE FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC ADO-EKITI, and also signed by its Chairman, Dr Olabisi Olasehinde, noted that “the action is regretted with all sincerity”.
Meanwhile, following the resolution of the one-week industrial face-off at the intervention of the Ewi of Ado-Ekiti and his Council of Chiefs, ASUP has directed all her members to resume their duty posts immediately.
The Federal University of Gusau in Zamfara State has refuted reports of an attack by bandits Thursday evening.
A statement on Friday by Umar Usman, the Information Officer, called the news “misleading.”
Usman noted that the university never experienced any security breach since its establishment in 2013.
The spokesman said some people became nervous after sighting Fulani men who were returning from a ceremony.
“The incident might have occurred as a result of panic by the students arising from the kidnap of the GGSS, Jangebe and related issues of insecurity.”
The university condemned the spread of information without authentication from the authorities.
The management cautioned staff and students against forwarding unconfirmed social media messages.
The Ekiti Government on Thursday denied reports alleging that its tax officials locked up a private primary school in Ado Ekiti, the state capital, and made the pupils of the school to suffer for hours.
The Commissioner for Information and Values Orientation, Mr Wale Omole, denied the allegation in a statement he made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ado Ekiti.
NAN reports that some social media reports, earlier on Wednesday had claimed that officials of the State Revenue Service locked the gate of a private nursery and primary school in Ado Ekiti over alleged failure of the school’s management to pay its income tax.
In the reports, it was alleged that pupils within the school could not leave the environment and were without food and water up till very late hours of the day.
Parents who were said to have come to pick their children upon hearing of the incident were also allegedly disallowed from taking their children home because the gate was locked.
But the Commissioner reacting, described the reports of school children being locked up over refusal of their school’s management to pay tax as incorrect, saying the present government would never do such to young children under any circumstance.
According to him, ”The attention of the government of Ekiti State has been drawn to a viral video alleging that enforcement officers of the Ekiti State Internal Revenue Service sealed off a private school, with children inside.
”The circumstances surrounding this event are being investigated and a comprehensive statement will be issued once concluded.
”At this material time, the referenced school has been visited by the officials of government and we can confirm that it is untrue that children are being held.
” Without prejudice to the outcome of the investigation which will be made public very soon, the government assures the public that it is totally unacceptable for children to be maltreated in any way in Ekiti State, and state government will not condone such.”
He said that the Gov. Kayode Fayemi-led administration had been consistent in the fight against discrimination of any kind, and had remained committed to ensuring schools are safe spaces for learning and for moral instruction.
Akwa Ibom State Government has debunked insinuations that the free and compulsory education for primary and secondary school, in the state have been stopped.
The State Commissioner for Information and Strategy comrade Ini Ememobong said the government is still fully committed to the sustenance of the free and compulsory education policy currently in force.
According to him,”Government does not receive and has not indicated any interest to receive money from pupils and students or their parents. However, where parents, groups or communities, in response to the clarion call for contributory development of education in the state, choose to voluntarily support schools, government shall not be opposed to it.
The 10- year educational development plan proposed by the education think tank, he said, is being vigorously pursued by the government, adding that the entire education machinery of government under the ministry of education and boards have been reinvigorated to deliver on the targets set by the proposal.
Ememobong said in line with the declaration of a state of emergency in the education sector by Governor Udom Emmanuel’s administration , the entire ministerial jobs for the year 2021 has been allocated to the education sector.
“Currently, there are more than 300 projects ongoing in different schools across the local government areas in furtherance of the emergency declaration of the state government.
“We urge all citizens to continue to support the government’s drive to ensure qualitative education at all levels. Parents, guardians, responsible companies and community leaders are encouraged to contribute and participate in the development of education in the state,” the commissioner stressed.
The Education Ministry has denied causing financial loss in the award of the contract for the supply of the mathematical sets following the arrest of the supplier.
The CEO of Bluegrass Limited has been arrested by the National Intelligence Bureau for allegedly failing to supply over 853,000 pieces of the mathematical sets after winning the contract.
Excerpts of a statement issued by the ministry read “on the 12th March of 2019, the ministry wrote to the PPA for approval to procure the items by sole sourcing due to the urgency of having the instruments in place for the 2020 WASSCE in accordance with the public procurement act at a price of GH¢75 per item, totaling GH¢63,975,675.
“Unfortunately, the delivery of the items for the May/June 2020 WASSE was delayed due to Covid-19 restrictions which affected production abroad and the first batch did not arrive in time for the benefit of the candidates.”
It went on “however candidates for the 2021 and beyond will benefit from them and the intention is to purchase them for all senior high school students to enable them to familiarize themselves with the items in preparation for their examinations.”
“The first batch that was received has been paid for and payment for the remainder will be made upon receipt.”
The statement added “the minister does not know the CEO of Bluegrass limited in person. And until his voting on Friday 11th February 2021 was not aware of his earlier arrest by the National Intelligence Bureau on the 29th of January 2021."
The Management of Kaduna State University (KASU) has described as fake news, trending social media posts purporting a change of name for Kaduna State University to Magajin Garin Zazzau Sambo University.
“The Management of Kaduna State University wishes to notify the public that the news of the renaming of the university from Kaduna State University to Magajin Garin Zazzau Sambo University is fake news”, the Registrar of the institution, Mr Samuel Manshop, said in a statement in Kaduna, on Sunday.
In a related development, the Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Muhammad Tanko, has equally disassociated himself from a Facebook Account recently opened in his name.
“The public is hereby warned to disregard the account. It is the handiwork of miscreants and mischief-makers,” Tanko said, in a statement, also on Sunday.
“The public is hereby urged to disregard the information as it is the handiwork of mischief- makers,” Manshop said.
University of Ibadan has cautioned students not to fall for the antics of suspected fraudsters, who claimed that students have been allocated halls of residence ahead of the next academic session.
The Director of Public Communication, Mr. Olatunji Oladejo, said the institution is not behind the trending social media information, which expects students to make payment for accommodation.
He said no student is expected on campus, as such no accommodation will be allocated to any student, adding that the 2020/2021 first semester lectures will be delivered online in line with a revised academic school calendar.
Oladejo said the student registration portal has not even been opened.
He, however, assured new students that the opening of the registration portal and the orientation programme for 2020/2021 session will start on or before February 20.
Oladejo said “Management has noted the information trending on the social media indicating that the university has published allocation of students into halls of residence and students are expected to make payments.”
“The university wishes to inform the new students and the public to disregard the information, as student registration portal has not been opened. Kindly beware.
“Management wishes to restate as contained in the university’s official bulletin No. 4353 of January 14 titled: ‘Approved Revised Academic Calendar for 2018/2019’ as follows:
“In approving the calendar, Senate noted the prevailing circumstances occasioned by the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to comply with the protocols established for the control of the spread of the pandemic.
“It, therefore, agreed that the 2020/2021 first semester lectures will be delivered online.
“No student will be accommodated on campus.”
Edo State chapter of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), yesterday, said it has not received any summons from the National Industrial Court (NIC) restraining it from embarking on strike in primary schools.
The NIC sitting in Benin City had on Monday in a suit filed by the Edo State Government and the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) in a suit marked: NICN/BEN/04/2021, restrained the NUT from proceeding on strike.
But reacting to the purported order, the state NUT said it was not served any processes or documents from the court against the strike that commenced on January 18, 2021.
Assistant Secretary-General, Comrade Moni Mike Modesty Itua, said at the close of work on Monday, the union did not receive any papers from the NIC.
“The union is not aware of any court order. It was yet to be served any court order and as far as the union is concerned, the indefinite strike is still in force. The strike continues indefinitely,” he said.
In spite of the order, teachers did not resume in various schools visited in Benin City on the second day of the strike.
When The Guardian visited some primary schools in Benin City to ascertain compliance with the court order, it was observed that teachers were yet to resume despite the court order restraining them from embarking on strike.
The strike, however, disrupted reopening of primary schools on Monday, February 1, 2020, following the state government’s directive for resumption of academic activities in the state.
The Management of the Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, has disclosed that a story insinuating the death of two female students, as a result of a fire incident at the Block ‘M’ female hostel, at its main campus, as fake news.
The Vice-Chancellor of the University, Professor Lawal Bilbis, while reacting to the development, however, expressed happiness that no life was lost as a result of the incident.
The block ‘M’ Down Valley hostel, was gutted by fire in the early hours of Monday, February 1, 2021, resulting in the destruction of multi-million naira properties, credentials, cash and other valuables of no fewer than sixty-eight female students.
Speaking when he conducted some newsmen round the gutted hostel, represented by the Dean, Students Affairs, Professor Aminu Mode, on Tuesday, Bilbis disclosed that only three students were injured.
According to him, two of the injured students had since been treated and discharged from the University’s Clinic, while the third one who was referred to the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, was responding to treatment.
Bilbis said that the blaze was suspected to have been caused by an explosion of a gas cylinder from one of the rooms of the ill-fated hostel.
The VC further disclosed that several of such gas cylinders had since been seized from the students, while the matrons had been directed to strictly enforce the ban on the use of gas cylinders, electric cookers and water heaters.
Bilbis reminded the students that, only kerosene stoves were allowed to be used in the hostels and threatened to reprimand any student found to be flouting the ban.
He disclosed that all the affected students had been reallocated new hostel accommodation, while they were also given new mattresses and pillows.
“We will try our possible best to assist them in terms of their lost credentials, as well as render immediate assistance to them for their subsistence,” Bilbis added.
Meanwhile, the Management of the University had set up a seven-man committee, to investigate the immediate and remote causes of the inferno, as well as advise on the possible long term assistance to be offered to the affected students.
He commended the Institution’s firemen and those of the Sokoto State and Federal Fire Service Departments, for their invaluable efforts in helping to put out the blaze.
Bilbis also appealed to the State Emergency Management Agency and the National Emergency Management Agency, to assist the affected students.
Meanwhile, Bilbis lamented that two female students, who were returning to Sokoto some few days ago, had lost their lives, as a result of a road traffic crash that occurred near Yauri, in Kebbi State, while coming from Ilorin, Kwara State to Sokoto.
He stated that three other students, who were injured as a result of the accident were currently receiving treatment at UDUTH Sokoto, with their medical bills being handled by the University.
The Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, North-west Nigeria has denied shielding a fake certificate syndicate, insisting that the reputation and integrity of all its certificates are highly protected.
Director, Public Affairs Directorate of the university, Malam Auwal Umar, in a statement issued to Vanguard on Friday night ,said the ABU was of .the belief that a running story by the US based online media was in bad taste as no attempt was made to contact the institution for its own comments before publishing a story that one Shafa’atu Abdullahi was issued an ABU certificate, when actually she was withdrawn.
According to Malam Umar,” the attention of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria has been drawn to another one- sided news item published again ……that “ABU Management Shields Fake Certificate Syndicate ,Sends False Records to NYSC.”
“This was a follow -up to a one -sided story the online media first published a month ago that a syndicate in the university had been issuing fake degree certificates to fraudulent students, an allegation that the institution had since dismissed as untrue.”
“The university reiterates that the person ,(Shafa’atu Abdullahi- U 15PY 2014)purported to have been issued a certificate is actually a withdrawn student .It should be noted that Ahmadu Bello University does not ignore such a weighty allegation in line with ensuring that its very high reputation and the highly respected integrity of its certificates are protected,” he said,
He explained that ABU’s Career Office, a unit responsible for students’ mobilization for the NYSC scheme, had confirmed that Shafa’atu Abdullahi was not mobilized for the one- year mandatory National Youth Service as claimed by the online media.